Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How I became a Hip Hop teacher



The new YMCA in Shoreline just opened, so I went with my sister and my 7-year-old niece to check out an afternoon Hip Hop class. On the first day of classes, outside the exercise studio, there was a man in a YMCA polo telling people that the class was canceled because they didn't have a teacher. I thought, "Hmmm...a dance class with no teacher...I'M a dance teacher...but Hip Hop isn't exactly my forte...should I tell him I teach CardioFunk?" I did, and gave him my card. A couple of days later he emailed me and asked me if I wanted to teach the class.

I was a little concerned because the description of the class on the schedule says "Your chance to try a variety of styles such as breaking, popping, locking and krumping" --- I don't even know what krumping IS! After consulting with my sister, who said, "Just do it. How hard can it be?? It's the 'Y'!" I decided to go for it.

The next week, on my first day, there were already 10 people waiting to take the class when I got there, 7 kids and 3 adults. Since I've never taught kids before, I made it up as I went along and taught a routine that I also taught in my CardioFunk class. What I learned: the steps that I think are EASY, are NOT easy for everyone! So I have to go back to BASIC basics. So much for the class description. That is such a relief!

So now I teach three classes a week, Hip Hop on Mondays and Wednesdays and CardioFunk also on Wednesdays. Now Ian says, "You're the busiest unemployed person I know."

Maybe eventually we'll all learn what 'krumping' is.

4 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Kristin said...

That's so exciting! You will do a teriffic job!

Colleen said...

Ha! I used to teach hip-hop to kids... you're right. What I find easy is not always easy for everyone. And kids can't feel and 8-count beat which eventually drove me mad and away from teaching dance to kids. Good luck! I know you'll be great!

Contact Travis said...

just watch a couple of reruns of so you think you can dance...you'll see krumping :)