Thursday, August 28, 2008

Terrified...and a white girl in a brown girl's body


The most incredible, amazing, dream-come-true thing has just happened to me! My good friend Megan, who teaches dance class at Westlake Dance Center---the premiere dance studio for adult drop-in classes in Seattle---asked ME to take over her weekly CardioFunk class! Did she know that I've secretly always wanted to teach a dance class, but have been too afraid, not ready, unsure, insert-excuse-here, etc.? The owner of the studio called me to ask me and before I knew it, I heard myself saying "I'd love to!" Then, when I got off the phone, I thought, "What have I just done?" Let me explain.

Megan and I have danced at Westlake since the mid-90's. We were at pretty much the same level when we started. Then I pursued my career in radio, took fewer dance classes, and started working full-time at an all-news radio station that shall go unnamed (this too, I blame on you! haha)...meantime, Megan started teaching dance class and getting better and better. Why, oh why, didn't I choose dance over radio?! In any case, Megan, who is a white girl with red hair who could be mistaken for Sunny Jim's sister, has turned out to be the funkiest hip hop dancer and is just so GOOD. As for me, I consider myself to be a pretty good jazz dancer and decent at hip hop. But when I do hip hop, I feel like a jazz dancer trying to do hip hop. I just hope they can't tell!

So, to make sure I could handle the class I went to Megan's class last night, thinking, okay there'll be like 8 to 10 people, it should be pretty easy, and she wouldn't have asked me to take over if she didn't think I could handle it, right? There were like THIRTY people in this class! And they LOVE Megan, who's so bubbly and energetic. Do you know the size of these tennis shoes I have to fill?? And she made me dance in front, which, for the new teacher, shouldn't be a problem. But inside I was terrified! At least it was in a good way. Megan was kind enough to remind me that she chose me to take over her class because there ARE so many hip hop classes, for the 'kids' (under 21). This class is for people who want to try a little bit of hip hop, who are too scared to take a full-on hip hop class because they can be so intimidating (oh, you mean, people over 30?). And for people who want to get a good workout. Okay, so I haven't done cardio regularly since Sweet Pea was born, but it shouldn't be that tough...should it? BTW, the class last night kicked my ass!

Another thing, now I have to start keeping up on current hip hop and R&B music. I'll be one of the few KUBE listeners over 30!

So I'm scared, but excited. I start teaching CardioFunk, all by myself, every Wednesday from 6:30p to 7:30p at Westlake Dance Center in north Seattle on September 10th. I hope you'll come and support me!

5 comments:

danielskiffington said...

Congrats, Sue. If I only I enjoyed dancing. Haha, yeah right. But I'm sure you'll do great. Hope to talk to you soon! -Skiffy

Lisa said...

Sue, you'll be GREAT!!! You're already a wonderful dancer, smart as a whip, you are so observant that you take in everything. That makes you a great teacher. Also, you have rhythm, love music, and love people. I know you'll be amazing. You'll surprise yourself!!!!!!

Contact Travis said...

congratulations! you will be a rock*star :) soon they'll ask you to judge SYTYCD right next to Mary M!!!!

Kristin said...

This is GREAT news!! You'll be awesome, and I might have to come try the class some evening!

Colleen said...

That is so exciting! I would totally come if I didn't have to drive four hours to get to the class! You'll be great!